Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Department of Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation


It is my considered opinion that the United States Government does only a few things really well. Among the things I would say it does right is: collecting tax, the U.S. Postal Service, and providing for the veterans of the military who were disabled due to their service. One of the programs the Department of Veterans Affairs runs is Vocational Rehabilitation. This is a great service because it makes available a quality college level education for disabled veterans. Many of these veterans can no longer work in a physically demanding job, but don't have the needed education and training to be hired in an upper management positions. Yes, a desk job (a nice paying one if you can get it). That is why the sheep's skin with the "University of Somewhere" written on it is very important. It is the key that opens the door so the veteran can earn the living he or she deserves. Why not? Ofttimes these men and women gave an arm, leg, sight, hearing, and emotional well being for the country. I believe, and I would hope you would agree, that the nation should repay the debt owed to this person in a way that makes this individual a productive member of the work force.

I am one of these disabled veterans. Trust me...nothing has been given to me; other than a hard time. However, I applied for Vocational Rehabilitation and after a lot of aptitude testing and college placement exams I was accepted. I have been enrolled into Upper Iowa University as a freshman pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Business Management. I haven't been to school in 27 years. Hopefully I will do well and get an office with a view.

7 comments:

GM- Grande Merda said...

Wow, that's absolutely great news. I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience for you! Good luck!

The retired pawn said...

Grande Merda,

Thank you for your comments. I hope it is a pleasant experience as well. Again, thank you, I need all the luck I can get!

Blue Devil Knight said...

Fantastic. It should be a lot of fun!

HardDaysKnight said...

Go get 'em RP.

And thank you for your service.

HDK

Anonymous said...

So are you going to join a frat and live on campus? ha ha

Ken Fee

The retired pawn said...

Thanks to all who have shown thier support of me. You all are the best.

BDK: I hope so!

HDK: You're a good friend. I wish I could be more like you.

Ken: I want in on the Larry Christain lecture and simul. Do we actually eat with him? All of that for a $100? That's a good deal.

The retired pawn said...

Ken: I will learn to spell at college. I meant Larry Christiansen! Save me a place!!! Check is in the mail...lol