Friday, July 3, 2009

Transatlantic crossing!


Whenever the Retired Pawn travels, he does so in style. This doesn't mean that loads of money is spent. Oh, no! I tend to get the best deals one can have. This is how I was able to make a round trip Atlantic crossing aboard the RMS Queen Mary 2. Trust me, I am a man of limited means, but there are some deals one shouldn't pass.

Interestingly, there is little chess play aboard. One day, I found a game with a bright young lady. There was a temptation to crush her, but I refrained and just let the game end as a draw. No sense destroying her like for the game for my ego's sake. The other on-board chess players should take lessons from the young lady, as she at least knew how the chessmen moved.

2 comments:

Ken Fee said...

Sounds like fun! What type of deal did you get. I was thinking about this trip.

You can e-mail me the answer if you like.

Ken Fee

The retired pawn said...

Hi Ken,
It was fun! I spent 12 days aboard the Queen Mary 2 while she crossed the Atlantic. The chess scene was hard to find. On my voyages there were only a handful playing and the aforementioned girl was the strongest of the lot. As far as a deal on the voyage I would suggest a travel agent. I don't know how many will be in your party, but it can be rather expensive. For example, the fare per indivual averages $1,500 including tax, fees, tips. Then there are some costs for proper attire, travel, etc. So if you are asking me what a trip with 3 adults cost me just imagine over $8,000.