Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What is up with the Retired Pawn?


"How come you don't post any longer?" I hear it all the time from folks who follow my postings. Once upon a time, I would post many times a month. These posting covered subjects concerning my life in retirement, chess, and my amusement park outings. I loved to post about trains and my hometown in Dansville, NY. I never started this blog with the idea that it would be just about chess and my quest for tactical proficiency. No, that came later as I strove to improve my chess play. Once the blog became one dimensional, it began to become hard to post good articles. Couple that with the demands of my degree program and you get one post a month saying I am sorry for the lack of content. Just to be clear, I have no intentions of quiting my quest with the Knights Errant, nor am I quiting my blog. I ask for understanding and support while I work on personal life and my degree program.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Hi I came upon your blog when trying to track down Fr. Carroll Thorne whom I knew in Germany 15 years ago when he was the Chaplain in Fuerth and we attended St. Eliazabeth Ann Seton - we were the Scottish non military family who latched on to his Parish.

If there was a way that I could get in touch with him that would be fantastic.

Interesting to read that you have Scottish antecedents and were based on the Holy Loch, as I was born about 3 miles from there across the Firth of Clyde at Helensburgh and now live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Any thoughts on how you can pass on my details to Fr. Thorne?

The retired pawn said...

Dan: Yes, I have Fr. Thorne's contact info. Pity I didn't read this last night. He often invites me to eat breakfast; I could have met him and passed on your info.

I must warn you, Fr. is getting older and often doesn't remember people from the past. This is a source of annoyance; more at himself than anything. If he remembers you, I will provide his phone via email...lets be hopeful he will.

Yes, I had visited both Helensburgh and Edinburgh during my tour in Scotland. I loved getting out and about. Pity I missed the Cowal games yet again. I did have high hopes this year, as I had a place to stay in Dunoon all arranged...so sad.

Thanks for your comments.

Dan said...

Thanks for taking the trouble to get back to me.

A little bit of context, some of the other people who were in Germany around the time our family was there were the Gill's and the Chavez family.

We were based in Germany through my work (I am work for a Scottish bank) and our village parish was quite hard going as there were few if any children there. (We had 3 children at that time - now 4 though not many are still children). I contacted the US Army chaplaincy team and Fr. Thorne kindly invited us along.

We were in his Parish at Darby Kasserne for around 2 years and got ourselves fully involved in Parish life. We were always made to feel very welcome even though we were gatecrashing what was essentially a military community.

My wife Pat was part of the sacramental team on Sunday mornings and I was involved in preparing Altar Servers and in running a service for younger children during Mass.

We were so impressed by the commitment and activity in the Parish we were able to bring many ideas and actions into our own Parish in Scotland on our return.

It would be nice to be able to send Fr. a letter, but don't be concerned if he doesn't remember us. Just knowing he is still around and rembering him in this way means a lot.

Kindest Regards

Danny Friel

The retired pawn said...

Dan: Send me an email via the one listed on my profile. I will forward Fr. Thorne's address. I think a letter from you might jog his memory.