Friday, September 12, 2008

Retired Pawn II v. Retired Pawn...Showdown on Pennsylvania Ave.

Let me start by saying that my son (Retired Pawn II) dislikes playing chess! It is my opinion that this dislike has its roots in the fact that he struggles when playing against his Papa. I never meant for it to be a chore, only a fun thing between father and son...something we would have for our entire lives. If I had to guess, I would say that it harms his self-esteem when he loses and the pain of feeling inferior is what keeps him from enjoy our time together. This is only my opinion.

Nevertheless, not long ago he challenged me to a game. I don't know why my son found it necessary to play that day. Perhaps he just beat all of his friends and was looking for stiffer competition. Maybe he ate a box of Wheaties and found new confidence. I may never know the why, but play he did! Retired Pawn II didn't start out timid either. No, sir! He was talking trash while setting up the White pieces.

In this position, as Black, I made a simple draw by repetition. The real reason is obvious....I like our time together and want to encourage my son to play more often. However, he did play rather well. I may have a passed b pawn, but I also have the weakness of three pawn islands...a direct result of my son's play!

How does Black proceed from here?

3 comments:

Banatt said...

Wow, I have no idea. I'm impressed.

Polly said...

Two ideas come into mind. Bring the queen back to d4+, and try to get the rook to c3 and then a3 then give check on a1 and win the a pawn. The other possibility after Qd4+ is pushing d5 to eliminate your weak d pawn. It's probably a draw with correct play, but I do like black's position better.

Anonymous said...

If I may suggest; I prefer being anonymous to avoid unnecessary attention. But I have been reading these blogs; and the training programme which focusses so much on tactics does not impress me much. Yes, tactics to a certain level are necessary; after that you need to know what to do. A famous player aid about Alekhine once, "I can see combinations as well as Alekhine, but I cannot get into positions where the combinations arise!" As an explanation of this comment; you might want to study Bogoljubow-Alekhine, Hastings 1922. Notice the brilliant strategic buildup which allowed Alekhine to strike...

Anyway, coming back to the position...

Its a clear win for Black. Winning plan is simple. Secure the c-file. Place pawns on b4 and a5. Then exchange the queens. If opponent refuse to exchange queens, secure the a7-g1 diagonal for example, Q on c5). Once that is done, there will 100% be an opportunity to create a passed b pawn. Then, exchange the bishops; white's pieces will be tied down to the passed pawn; and infiltrate via c2.

Try doing this plan; and tell me (by commenting on thread) if you hav problems winning; or any other doubts.

Regards,

Anon.