Wednesday, October 29, 2008

...as you get stronger at chess


When I first began my quest to improve my play through tactics, I had quite a few people willing to play the game with me. These people would come to my house for dinner and we would enjoy a game or two with our drinks. Of course this was not just one way, as they always returned the favor.

Fast forward to today. I sit here writing this piece wondering when is the last time I had company for chess? When was the last invite? My gut tells me it was before last Christmas. I do remember it was at one of my chess playing buddies home. His wife was playing the appletini variation while my friend was hopelessly lost as black in the Philidor. That was the last friend to play me.

How did this happen? When you start playing chess you are unfamiliar with the game and no clear plan for winning; therefore, most of your friends do not mind a game with you. Your chess playing friends stand a good chance of winning while you are in this state, but as you get stronger at chess through studying tactic, as well as other facets of the game, your friends stop playing you. It was fun for them when they could crush you, however, now you are crushing them, even after three appletinis, the fun is no longer there.

The only games I get between tournaments is from playchess. I go to the cafe room and find guests to play. This gives me games against strong and weak players, which provides excellent training. You have to play each and every one with the strongest game possible. No tricks or you will be crushed! It is a shame it works out this way, but there is hope someone will stop by after a year and engage me in a battle of chess armies.

6 comments:

likesforests said...

"It is a shame it works out this way, but there is hope someone will stop by after a year and engage me in a battle of chess armies."

I recently played my father and won the match +5 -0 =0. But this is how most sports work. If one person trains and the rest don't, the person who trains becomes superior to the rest. In 1-on-1 games this effect tends to be more pronounced than in team games.

We just need to meet some new local friends who play chess well. Or perhaps a rival--those tend to really spur improvement. :)

The retired pawn said...

LF: I agree with you completely for improvement purposes. I just lament the loss of my friendly games against good company. Not only did I lose the games, I have in fact lost their company. Pity.

likesforests said...

If you've lost their company, that's indeed sad, what I meant is our newfound skill at chess also affords us the chance to make new friends. There must be someone in your area who plays chess well enough to give you a run for your money.

From the patzer said...

Or invite all your friends, tell them to bring their chess materials and give a simul. ;-)

Polly said...

Friends of mine had taught me how to play chess during a family ski vacation. By the next year I was crushing both of them, and neither wanted to play with me anymore.

Any time I end out in a social game of chess it tends to turn into a chess lesson. I give pointers and let the opponent take moves back. When I do this with a friend's child at some point I will turn the board around and let the child play the winning side. People appreciate the lesson and it allows the game to be a little more challenging.

I do like Tiger's idea of holding a simul. LOL

Blue Devil Knight said...

This is probably quite common. Nobody will play me anymore.

I'm going to a coffee shop Thursday to play some people in person. They are all better than me, but hopefully they won't mock me.