Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The 2007 Chess Club Championship Round 2

My last post was of my round 1 game. I don't know about most people, but when I play at tournaments I get really tired. This is in the form of mental fatigue and it is especially bad after a loss. I think deep down I knew I was getting the worse of it during the ending with my game with Yury and was lucky to have the draw. Exhausted is how I felt during the start of my second round game. My new opponent was a young man from New Mexico. I couldn't help thinking he was a little far of field, but chess is chess and people travel to play our game. I have the Black pieces this game.

Stuart,Zach (1238) - Forbes,Todd (1293)
The Chess Club Championship 2007 Kansas City, MO (2), 16.06.2007

B45: Sicilian Four Knights

1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bc4 e6

(Let just face it. Black is behind in development and the Bishop on c8 isn't moving anytime soon) 7.Bf4N (Novelty. White usually aims for 7.Be3) 7...e5? (Bad...just dreadfully bad. 7...Bb4!? was best)

8.Nxc6! bxc6 9.Bxe5 (Black goes down a pawn with no compensation) 9...Be7 10.Bd6 0-0 11.e5 Re8? (Better 11...Bxd6 but 12.Qxd6 Ne8 still leaves White with a winning advantage) 12.0–0 Bxd6 13.exd6 (This d6 pawn would prove to be a bone in my throat. Even better 13.Qxd6!? locking down the position) 13...Bb7 14.Qd3 Qb6 15.b3 a5 16.Na4 Qa7 17.Rfe1 Rab8 18.Qf5 Qa8?? (Blunder. The position was bad, and any move in a bad position is bad!)

19.Nb6 Rxe1+ 20.Rxe1 Re8 21.Nxa8 Rxe1+ 22.Bf1 Bxa8 23.Qxa5 Re8 24.b4 Nd5 25.b5 c5 26.c4 Nf4 27.Qc7 h6 28.Qxd7 Re1 29.Qc8+ Kh7 30.Qf5+ Ng6 31.d7 Be4 32.Qxf7 Bd3 33.h3 Rxf1+ 34.Kh2 Nh4 35.d8Q (35.d8Q Rh1+ 36.Kxh1 Nxg2 37.Qdg8#) 1–0

What a disaster! I felt down and dejected...hoping that the lunch break would help going into round 3.

5 comments:

HardDaysKnight said...

Just some ideas, I write only as a patzer who is trying to improve: regarding your comment just after move 6 about Black being behind in development and the bishop on c8 not going anywhere.

In the Sicilian, Black is frequently behind in development---it's taken for granted, with all the pawn moves that black's pieces are not going to come out as quickly as White's; but White has to prove that Black has a problem, and if I'm not mistaken this is one reason White attempts to attack so quickly; also, if White doesn't, attack and win, as the game goes on, Black will have more and more of an advantage, due to the fact that Black has two center pawns to White's one (talking open Sicilian here, obviously); I know we think of the Sicilian as an attacking, slashing, opening, but perhaps it's really about a better endgame. I wonder how many Dragons Chessbase would turn up where Black has sac'ed the exchange, and is up two pawns (three would be too easy), heading into a won endgame?

As far as your Bishop, I think it’s way to early to believe that he is relegated to the wilderness. He comes out pretty easy; how about b5 followed by Bb7, or d6 (and, hey, you’ve got your small center) followed by Bd7?

Regards,
HDK

The retired pawn said...

HDK: Thank you for stopping by. Your point is well taken. I like the Sicilian Defense, and play if often. I teethed on the Accelerated Dragon and have moved into other variations. The c8 Bishop has always been a problem child. Actually, my troubles began the move before with 5...a6? This move is less than optimium. Best would have been 5...e5 or 5...d6. Playing in the spirit of this position 5...e6 would have been theory followed by 6.Bb4. Yes, the Sicilian leads to a won endgame and that was the design since the time Black traded his c pawn for a center pawn of White.

I write as I did because I have non-chess people reading along. As you can see I write about other things and I want the people reading my blog for Veteran's issues to enjoy my games as well.

Please feel free to comment further. I like the way you think!

HardDaysKnight said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HardDaysKnight said...

RP: 5… a6 is not a problem; it’s the Najdorf signature
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessopening?eco=B90

The retired pawn said...

HDK: I mixed systems with 5...a6. This position is the Sicilian Four Knights. In the spirit of this position my 5th move was a waste of time. However, it prevented a posted of a Knight on d6 by White. Maybe best would have followed up with 6...e5 instead of falling further behind with a two move push. If I would have done that White wouldn't have had been able to play Bf4. What to do is always the question.

Sometimes we can analyze our games and still be wondering where it went wrong. A Master once said "Your mistake...sitting at the chess board. Your second was playing". At my level there is some truth to that. Experience will provide some answers and study might bring the others.

I play the Najdorf and had good results. Thanks for the link.