Thursday, May 10, 2007

30 feet high and rising!

Today it rained off and on. I was wondering who was going to stop it. I know in the end God will, but that may be after 40 days and 40 nights. I decided to go for a long walk, and this led me to downtown Leavenworth. Man, they have everything here! Such as: stores, bars, train depots (as in two of them), and a train that comes along several times each day. What more could a man ask for? Naturally, I had to see the train and the Wye is runs along the Missouri river. The easiest access is at the Leavenworth Landing (a waterfront park), which is co-located with the old Union Pacific depot (two birds with a single stone!). As I approached the Landing I notice something a wee bit odd: Hmmm...I don't seem to recall those sandbags ever being there? No they are something new. Also new was that the river has risen about 30 feet and has claimed or reclaimed some property. The above photo was taken in January at the Landing. If you look across the river to the far bank you find a barren area above the river with trees above that. Since I have resided here, that has always been the scene. Today? The water covers the barren area and is half way up the trees and is still rising. You can not stand where the photo was taken either. The police have made that a crime scene...lol. I guess it comes in handy when they need to tape off an area. The water is mere inches from spilling over and flooding the park and parts of downtown Leavenworth, Kansas. I watched the water rage by for quite awhile and heard over the police radio that Missouri Department of Transportation had closed Missouri 92 and Missouri 45. Those are the roads that take you to Kansas City, Missouri, and they are now flooded. As I stood there the rain started and the sandbagging became more urgent. I looked up at the heavens and silently, but sarcastically, asked God: What more could you do to make this day more perfect? My answer came almost immediately...an Union Pacific train sounded its horn and rolled on by.

No comments: