Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A Train called Phoebe Snow

I can hear the train coming up the main line of the Lackawanna Railroad, East bound, from Buffalo, New York. That's right, Dansville, New York, was a stop along the main line. The train that carried passenger from Buffalo to Hoboken, New Jersey, in 8 hours and 39 minutes was named the Phoebe Snow. She can be seen in the photograph wearing the Lackawanna banner. She was not only fast, but beautifully trimmed in bright colors and luxurious. She had an observation car, a gourmet dining car, a tavern car, and a sleeper car. People would put their lives on hold just to watch her flash past. On the engine was a painted portrait of Phoebe Snow, a character that the Lackawanna had invented to promote how clean their coal burned. Miss Phoebe is gloriously dress in all white and she is breathe taking. No wonder people just stopped and stared! All aboard!

I spent most of my day doing my appeal to the Veteran's Affairs folks. It is a lengthy process that requires me to find evidence to support how a disability is connected to my service. I was told that the VA had already considered my Service Medical Record and that I would not be allowed to use it again to support my claim. Well, it is the evidence and I need to use it because somebody missed a lot of entries that support my claim. I'll update you all once I see the VA man.

2 comments:

sMacThoughts said...

I'm so curious about this 'KinderFarm' you went to on this train. Was it a summer camp? And good luck with the VA!

The retired pawn said...

smacthoughs:Hmm...you kind of have me lost. The Pheoebe Snow passenger service stopped a little after I was born, so I never rode her (alas). The only truely old train I rode of was in Lavonia, NY, to Avon, NY, as a kid. I was trying to reference this "KinderFarm" you said I wrote about...? As far as the VA goes, I was successful and have a proper disability rating. They also pay for my degree in Business Management. That you for your interest!