Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My Mustang


Undoubtedly everyone has seen my automobile. I have a rather fetching photograph of it on My Page in My Personal Photos. Yeah, right next to my dog Esko. The story behind this car ? Well, it was purchased out of frustration and with anger. You see, I have another car...a nice Toyota Camry. However, I was stationed in Jacksonville, Florida, but the Camry was in Kansas. The Navy had me go on Temporary Additional Duty (TAD) to London, Kentucky. Transportation was provided to Kentucky, but somehow it wasn't provided for the return trip. I had 12 hours to get to Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, FL, and no way to get there! I felt that this was done on purpose. However, I had to do my duty and report on time. So I went to Interstate 75 with my sea bag over my shoulder and hitched a ride to Knoxville, Tennessee. At the Knoxville airport I rented a car (a nice Pontiac G6) and drove all the way to the Jacksonville airport. Then I caught the United Service Organization (USO) bus to NAS Jax. I reported with 2 minutes to spare! That was way to close for comfort. So I call my brother Paul (who lives in Jacksonville) and had him come get me after my duty. We went car shopping. I told him to pick a dealer and he want me to have an Acura TL, but due to road construction we detoured to a Ford dealer. I walked onto the lot and saw this pretty blue Mustang GT. I told Paul "This one...I want this one". I strutted into the show room and told them "Whoever can get me into that Mustang GT for $27,000...I will buy it tonight". Paul was aghast. After some tepid offers I finally got the price I wanted, but I would have to wait until they dealer prepped the vehicle for delivery. No, no...that won't do...TONIGHT!!! I got the price and at 11 p.m. I was tearing the factory plastic wrapping off the seats. Wow, what a nice smell. I love new cars. I tell everyone that the Mustang was a retirement gift and in a way it was. I wanted to own a Mustang GT for a long time (since childhood) and the new body style increased that longing. The car is a 2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe and was on the lot for $33,000 before tax, title, and tag. I got a good deal...$27,500 including tax, title, and tag. The runs great and is fast...super fast! I have personally gone from zero to sixty mph in just 5 seconds and have had it over...let us just say that Ford says the car will do 150 mph and that I believe that. I finally did get my dealer preparation completed 4 months after I drove away from that dealership late at night by the local Ford dealer here in Leavenworth. They love the car too.

No comments: