Friday, May 18, 2007

A Veterans Compensation and Pension

I have a question? How many of my faithful readers has ever served in the United States Military? How many of you were told that U.S. Government appreciated your service and would ensure that you received compensation for injuries/disabilities upon completion of your service to the Country through the Department of Veteran's Affairs? I was told this many times. I was also told that this would be in addition to my life long medical care the military would provide me if I would retire after 20 years...free of charge. I think it is time for military to tell the truth. The truth is that I do have military medical, provided at the military post closest to my home...for about $38 (the family rate) a month. Okay, the Navy did their part; so my next stop was the Veteran's Affairs people. I went into my application for compensation and pension not knowing what to expect. I went to all of the appointments. Those Veteran's Hospital Medical Staff worked my over. They asked very specific questions and I did my best to answer those questions truthfully. After that I waited about five months to hear about my entitlements. What did they say? The Department of Veteran's Affairs awarded me a 30% disabled rating and I will receive entitlements based upon 13 service connected disabilities. This award includes health care, educational opportunities, vocational job training with placement, counseling for mental anguish, and a tax free cash compensation for my disabilities. Many nice things! However, there is a problem. I have five other disabilities that the VA claims are not service connected. Having served our great nation of 26 years, 1 month, and 3 days I would think that just about any health problem I had, unless it was documented as a pre-existing condition before service, would be service connected. Apparently, not so. One of my denied disabilities is in the form of something called: Restrictive Airway Disease. Sounds nice, yes? Yeah, and the best part is that this is the result of asbestos exposure. I worked aboard one ship and was assigned to live in two buildings that are known to have asbestos dust problems. There have been lawsuits filed and claims granted to illnesses based on asbestos exposure in military service. Those suits mention the ship and the buildings. This is serious stuff. Many of those people that had been exposed are now dead. The United States Government knows, or should know this, as it is government property. So why does a government department deny my claim, which is based upon medical test results done at a government medical facility? Money would be my guess. Their official reason was that I can not establish a service connection. Where in hell have I been for the last quarter century? I was in U.S. Government care under the Department of Defense, serving in the United States Navy. My service began aboard the USS Forrestal (CV-59). a ship that was known to have asbestos exposure problems. I served at the United States Disciplinary Barracks (Bldg. 475), Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas, a building to have known asbestos exposure problems. Finally, I served aboard Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, Florida, and was assigned to live in a barracks that was condemned because it was known to have asbestos exposure problems. The truly sad part is that the officials at these places never told me that I was in danger. Why? My guess is money. So I sit here wondering what I would consider fair compensation from the VA. I would think that the government should grant me a service connection to the restrictive airway disease and rate my at 50% disabled. That is fair because I am 50% to blame for my exposure, i.e. I failed to protect myself. What do you think?

I have been preparing for the chess club championship. I downloaded the chess position trainer and I have been diligently working on my repertoire. So much fun. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

James Morgan - Puritan Financial Advisor said...

Those Veteran's Hospital Medical Staff worked my over. They asked very specific questions and I did my best to answer those questions truthfully. After that I waited about five months to hear about my entitlements. What did they say? The Department of Veteran's Affairs awarded me a 30% disabled rating and I will receive entitlements based upon 13 service connected disabilities.