Friday, May 18, 2007

A Trip to Wadsworth

I like old things. My faithful readers know this by now. The older the better. The above photograph was taken in the late 1800's. I don't know if you can make much out, but it shows how the Dwight D. Eisenhower Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Leavenwoth, Kansas, looked back then. Back when it was know as The National Home for Volunteer Soldiers-Western Branch, Wadsworth, Kansas. It was a well designed place with a hospital, chapel, dining hall, ball room, theater, amusement hall which included the canteen, a fishing pond with gazebo, barracks that had bath tubs and hot and cold running water, plus flushing toilets. Please remember that this was back when most folks had outhouses and if you wanted hot water for a bath you had to boil it. This was considered a very nice place to live. I can see why.

I brought all that up to say that I visited this place late last night. I was having some health issues and I thought it best if the Veterans Affairs Hospital Staff recorded my symptoms and treatment. I came into the hospital and was promptly treated. The staff took an interest in my issue and for the most part polite and helpful. I was finished within 90 minutes from the time I walked into the emergency room until the time I walked out of the hospital to my car. This time also includes a visit to the pharmacy. Great! My only issue was this: the Doctor seemed to want to protect the Department of Veterans Affairs from an increase in my disability. I understand this on one level...they must see people who falsely claim an illness from time to time, just so that person can get over on the governments dime. I get that. My trouble is I used to play John Rambo and not report every little ache and pain. I didn't want to be a "Sick Bay Commando" so I sucked it up. Very manly and very stupid! I say it is stupid because you have to prove that you have a injury and that is chronic and that it was caused by your military service. The primary way they do this is scrutinizing your Service Medical Records. If it isn't recorded there then it didn't happen while you were in the service. That is why I need the hospital staff to record my illness...so I can get a veterans compensation and pension that is fair based on my real level of service connected disabilities. My complaint is that they make it hard to do that by employing a subtle from of harassment. How does that help the veteran?

No comments: