Thursday, May 24, 2007

My Fourth Ship...O'bannon

This is my fourth ship, the USS O'bannon (DD-987), and she was a graceful greyhound of the sea. Her long lines where pleasing to view. She was powerful and fast. Her armaments included two 5"/54 caliber naval rifles (one placed forward and the other aft), one 8 tubed Anti-Submarine Rocket launcher (ASROC for short) (placed forward) which could fire conventional anti-submarine torpedoes or nuclear depth charges, one 8 tubed NATO Sea sparrow anti-aircraft missile launcher (placed aft), two 4 tubed Harpoon anti-ship missile launchers (place amid-ship facing port and starboard), and various small arms. Her four gas turbine main engines and 2 variable pitch propellers could bring this ship above 36 knots with ease and in a true emergency flank 3 situation she could touch 40 knots. I reported aboard her in August 1986 as a new Quartermaster First Class (QM1) and I was the Assistant Navigator/Leading Petty Officer. I was the man in charge of the ship's navigation...of a Man-of-War. My navigation team members were very well trained. We went places and did things of lore...and we did them as safely as it could be done. Never once was the ship lost and endanger of running aground. I was informed the day I reported aboard that I had less than 30 days to prepare for a deployment to the Persian Gulf. This meant that I worked almost around the clock to obtain the needed nautical charts and publications, plan the voyage, Lay the plan of intended movement on each chart, and get the whole thing approved by the Navigator and Commanding Officer. All this for some 24 year old young man. What a load. I can tell you that there is more work to this than I outlined. For the next two years this ship was my home. I lived aboard, eat every meal there, and it is where I worked. It was to be a trying experience as well. One that would make me into one of the finest Quartermasters in the Atlantic Fleet. When I departed the ship in June 1988 I had served at sea aboard ships for 8 straight years. I was time to go kick some rump in Panama!

The O'bannon commencing a full power run. She has just past through 22 knots. A lovely lady!

5 inch/ 54 caliber naval rifle...Gun smoke!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What timeframe were you on the Funky "O"? I was in OI Division from 85 thru 89

The retired pawn said...

Hi Bob, I remember you! I am QM1 Forbes...CDR Slocum was the CO. I served from 1986 to 1988. I learned a lot from my time managing that Navigation Team...Griffin and the boyz were a handful...plus I was young, 23 year old First Class Petty Officer...bound to make load of errors. lol

Unknown said...

I'll be dipped in.....

You get the idea! Great to see and hear from you again. I haven't heard from too many "O" rats since leaving, and was heartbroken to hear the old girl was decommed.

john said...

I was also sorry to hear of her decommissioning. The Navy retired all the Spru-Cans way to soon. I was onboard 86-90, S-3 Div. SH1. Retired from the Navy in 99