Friday, May 11, 2007

The chopper chat


Late last night I received a call from a my good friend, Father Carroll Thorne. It seems that he wanted my company for breakfast. So early this morning I went to meet him at the Price Chopper (A local supermarket). He was glad I came and asked me question after question, "What would you like for breakfast?" I thinking of biscuits and scrambled eggs, Father. "What...no meat? You realize Lent is over, don't you?" Yes, Father. The meat hurts my stomach. "You should get that checked out...by a Doctor!" Yes, Father! So our friendship goes. He talks and I listen. He is an older gentleman who has seen his share of horrors in the Philippines (He was removed by General Marcos for telling the Dole Plantation workers to raise and stand up for there rights) and while serving with the United States Army in such places as Viet Nam and Iraq. Now he is the Roman Catholic Priest for the United States Disciplinary Barracks (Military Prison). I see he is tired and he explains that there had been some "business" at the prison. He talks and I listen. This is how it should be. The elders passing on their wisdom to the respectfully listening youths. I speak only when an answer is expected from me. He shares his knowledge without condescension and I learn without intervention. A mutually agreeable relationship! No power struggle at all. We both enjoy our station. I wish my son would understand this type of relationship between men.

It is Friday. Supposedly, I am going to The Chess Club in Kansas City, Missouri, to play tonight. I regularly do this so I can get lessons from our local Master, Life National Master Ron Luther. However, on Saturday there is a ratings only tournament. I would like to play in it for training, but I don't want to lose rating points by having to play against much stronger opposition. One can't imagine the agony of chess. You must play to get better, but your ego and emotions are tied into each game. One silly-stupid-wrong move during critical game with a higher rated opponent and it is game over!! You're left feeling naked and exposed, feelings raw, emotions running high and wild. This is the roller-coaster ride of chess. You start off safe and climb higher with each win. Very soon you climb as high as you can and now there is only place to go...down. Crashing down into a depression where your ego is crushed and your confidence trampled. Some people fail recover from this and will not play rated games again. That is why preparation is so important. Study + Practice = Results.

No comments: