Thursday, May 17, 2007

Money Grows on Trees

I was born in a small town in up-state New York. If you went there today I suspect you wouldn't think much of it. Last time I visited it seemed just a shadow of what it had been during my youth. Maybe my view of it changed because I had during my service in the Navy. After all, I had been away for so many years. Had it really changed? Had the golden town of Dansville been just a figment of my imagination? Some sort of brainwashing that the community did unconsciously to make you think that your home town was paved in golden bricks and that money continuously grew on trees? Funny...money growing on trees!

Dansville, New York 14437, was such a town where money grew on trees. Actually, on lots of trees. My great Grandpa, William Buck, started a family business of William Buck & Son, Tree Growers. Most people today might think of this as a garden center, but it was a nursery. Dansville was full of them. My Grandpa, Stanley Buck, knew more about tree growing, tree grafting, tree selling, and all things trees...more than anyone I have met in my life thus far. The whole town was like that and most worked for the "Nursery Men". My first paycheck came from William Buck & Son, earned at my Grandpa side as a bud tie-er, and the check was signed by my Uncle Charles Buck. So money did grow on the trees in Dansville!

Once upon a time Dansville had two railroad services. The first was the Dansville & Mt. Morris line. This line would run for over 100 years and made money for most of it. The second rail service was provided by the Lackawanna line (later Erie-Lackawanna). Steam locomotives (as pictured above) still chugged up the East Hill when I was born. Passengers would disembark at the depot near the Castle on the Hill, a resort hotel of some fame started in the 1800's by Dr. James Caleb Jackson. See the hotel brochure
here.

Speaking of the Castle on the Hill ...I bet you can't tell me what one thing that was invented in Dansville that most Americans have in their kitchens? Would you believe breakfast cereal? Most Americans have at least one box of Kellogg's breakfast cereal in the cupboard at home. Here is the
story.

Since we are on health and well being I might just as well state that Dansville, New York, is the home of the first American Red Cross. Its founder, Clara Barton, lived in Dansville for some time and her home became Chapter number one. See story here.

Yes, Dansville has lost some, if not all, of its former glory. The railroads, the castle, and the nurseries are gone. People here now work in service related jobs, with a few exceptions for the limit factory jobs available, and are near poverty. However, the town is quiet and peaceful resting amongst the hills of the Genessee Valley; same has it has been since 1790.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi just to let you know, that the Castle on the Hill has been awarded a $2.5 grant to revive it as a senior assisted type project. The current owner will match the grant. This would be phase one in bring it back to life.

Brian Teachout
Dansville

Anonymous said...

hi- where did you get these pics of the DL&W? This one, as well as the color shot of the depot?

monty5329@yahoo.com

The retired pawn said...

Brian: Thanks for the info. Please up date me or direct my to a website where I may track the progress.

Monty: I sent an IM to you explaining how to obtain the photos. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hello-

I didn't get IM regarding where to get the DL&W pictures you have posted or didn't know what it was, not sure which... is there any way you can send it to my other email? It's charlie@proudsimon.com . I'd be much obliged, thanks again!